Segment: Highclere Castle
Episode: Viking Ep – British Isles Explorer
Air Date: 8th December 2019
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
One of the extensions you must absolutely take as part of your Viking cruise Into the Midnight Sun is the Highclere Castle, set in 1000 acres of stunning English country side and with a history dating back at least 1500 years.
- Highclere Castle is the main location of Downton Abbey film set, the hugely successful drama series that has over 11 million viewers in the UK and is now shown in over 100 countries around the world.
- The Castle has been home to the Carnarvon family since 1679. The present-day castle was designed in 1842 by Sir Charles Barry - the same architect who was also responsible for building the Houses of Parliament in Westminster.
- The Jacobethan style is a mixed national renaissance revival style of architecture that shows elements of Jacobean and Elizabethan influences. It became popular in the 1800’s.
- The castle has actually been home to many great movies and even music film clips. Downtown Abbey is now a feature film and it’s hard not to feel you're part of the storyline as you wonder the magnificent grounds and building.
- Modern times have seen the fortune of the house change significantly and it’s always been restored back to its former glory. The best time to experience it is during the summer months or during one of the special events held here throughout the rest of the year.