Segment: Sourtoe Cocktail
Episode: Explore Yukon
Air Date: 22nd December 2019
Presenter: Nigel Ruck
Dawson City is home to an unusual tradition – the Sourtoe Cocktail.
- For just $5 at the Downton Hotel Saloon, guests are able to get a beautiful shot of whiskey complete with a mummified human toe.
- The bizarre tradition started when Captain Dick Stevens found a mummified toe in a cabin he’d purchased. He put it in a glass of whiskey and did a shot, thus starting the famous tradition.
- Most toes that are donated to the bar are donated anonymously – although a few come with stories that are written up on the wall. People donate their toes for various reasons, with some just wanting to be a part of history.
- Almost 100,000 people have drunk the Sourtoe Cocktail – there are times that people que out the door for a chance at it.
- There is one rule with the Sourtoe Cocktail – you can drink it fast, you can drink it slow, but your lips must touch that gnarly toe.
- Those brave souls who are able to down their drink are awarded with an official, numbered certificate – as well as the respect of the Dawson City locals.