Episode: 4 Explore Canada: One Ocean Expeditions
Title: Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
Broadcast: January 13th
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Whilst modern Canada is celebrating its 150th birthday, people have been inhabiting Prince Edward Island for thousands of years. Today Trev takes us to see the wonders of this beautiful island.
- Prince Edward Island is famous for a lot of things but its food is world class and a lot of it has to do with the unique red soil surrounding the island.
- The water around the island also holds an abundance of the best seafood, so eating here is an absolute pleasure.
- The capital of Prince Edward Island is Charlottesville and apart from being a colonial town, it’s famous in its role in creating modern Canada.
- The birthplace of confederation is here, it was back in 1964 that Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia came together to agree to confederation.
- The thing was, Prince Edward Island didn’t join initially, in fact, it was a consideration at the time to join the USA! This was until Sir John McDonald, the first prime minister of Canada, made it all happen.
- Of course Prince Edward Island is famous for a lot more than just being the foundation for modern Canada. It’s home to one of the most famous literally characters of the 21st Century- Anne of Green Gables.
- You will fall in love with Prince Edward Island, it’s so beautiful, there’s so much to see and do and it’s definitely worth a stay.
For more information visit:
Destination Canada: explorecanada.com.au
One Ocean Expeditions: oneoceanexpeditions.com